SCALP & DANDRUFF TREATMENT
Healthy hair starts from a healthy scalp and it is pertinent that your scalp remains dandruff free and good practise of hygiene is maintained at times. In overcoming this issue, the right hair shampoo will be prescribed together with medication and hair rejuvenation treatments. A full analysis would be done by a hair physician looking at the root cause of the issue followed by the correct regime of treatment.
Topic 1 : What is dandruff?
Those unpleasant white flakes on the collar of your dark shirt or blouse are dandruff. Dandruff is a sign that the skin of the scalp is peeling off (exfoliating). It is perfectly normal for the skin to exfoliate. The problem arises when the amount of dandruff becomes an eyesore. There are basically two reasons for this. Too much production or not effective removal. In the too much production category are inflammatory diseases of the scalp. In the ineffective removal category is inadequate scalp hygienic efforts.
Topic 2: What is the treatment for dandruffs?
Treatment of dandruff often involves several of the following options.
- Keratolytics can be used to remove scale when necessary, eg salicylic acid, lactic acid, urea, propylene glycol
- Topical antifungal agents are applied like ketoconazole, or ciclopirox shampoo or and/or cream.
- Mild topical corticosteroids are prescribed for 1–3 weeks to reduce the inflammation of an acute flare
- Medicated shampoos containing ketoconazole, ciclopirox, selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, coal tar, and salicylic acid, used twice weekly for at least a month and if necessary, indefinitely.
- At Glojas, we would sometimes combine medication with SMART™ Hair Rejuvenation treatment, which will help to clean the scalp and stimulate better growth of hair.